It's Spring ! It may not feel like spring just yet, but mother nature will be getting with the program in the next few days bringing us some warmer weather! All those homeowners who have their homes on the market, and those who are getting ready to make their debut here are a few tips to get your home ready for the spring rush of buyers !
Update Your Pictures - If your home was listed in the winter you will want to update the pictures this way it showcases your homes spring look ! This is not only important to keep your listing from looking outdated, but if your anything like me I love my outdoor space and buyers should get the opportunity to see it too !
Create Your Outdoor Space - Having an inviting outdoor space whether it is a inviting front porch, or a great entertaining space in your backyard can really set you apart from your competition. Here are a few quick tips for creating that space !
- Decks/Porches/Railings always look a bit nicer with a fresh coat of paint or a good power washing !
- Inexpensive solar lighting to help light walk-ways not only make things safer, but also gives you great curb appeal !
- Brightly colored potted plants add to your curb appeal, and the best part is even someone without a green thumb can maintain these with very little work !
- Update your outdoor furniture, if your moving into your new home and were going to upgrade this furniture this season take the time and do it now. Since it will be going with you to your new home it will help showoff what that space offer to your buyers !
Lighten Things Up - Many people enjoy switching out their winter attire when the spring arrives you should do the same for your home ! Many people overlook the fact that we tend to use darker heavier fabric on things like our bedding and curtains so giving your home a new "wardrobe" for the spring is a great idea !
- Sheer curtains will allow the extra day-light to stream into your home, which tends to also make your room look larger and more inviting. Sheer curtains are also a great alternative for those who have large sliding doors, it allows you to keep your privacy but let the buyers see the outdoor space combined with indoor space !
- Removing your darker colored linens (ex:bedding, throw pillows, blankets) also work wonders for changing the feeling or the atmosphere of a room, and again these items are coming with you to your new home !
Give Your Home A Spring Cleaning - This is the perfect time of year to make any of those minor repairs or changes to your home, if your anything like me the last thing you want to do in the winter is pull out the paint, or spend hours cleaning when you can't open up the windows. Any home can show a bit better with only a days worth of work !
- Touch up your paint - white moldings often change color a bit a fresh coat of white high gloss paint give the room a fresh/clean feel !
- Letting the air in is of course important so your home doesn't feel stuff, but don't forget cleaning those windows can really showcase a picture or bay window !
- The best part of spring is obviously the fresh air and flowers, but you want to be careful because of allergies during this time of year. Burning a light scented candle before your home is shown is always a nice idea especially if you have pets !
- A fresh coat of paint on your front door, new house numbers, or replacing broken window screens is another great way to increase your curb appeal.
If your unsure what you should be doing to stage your home for the (hopefully) nearing spring season, take the time to call your Realtor. Many times we will see things that could be improved simply with a bit of re-arranging or much simpler fixes than you may think !